Friday, March 3, 2017

Hello everyone, Horror Rater here! I still have a bunch of games left over from my most recent itch.io download spree, so today I will be playing and reviewing Melone in the Dark.

Looking back after playing, this game was created for the Watermelon Game Jam 2017. It is also "a love letter to Alone in the Dark", which is a 1992 game with a similar look based on stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I never played the game, but I may have to after playing Melone in the Dark.

If you want to play the game before reading my spoiler riddled post, you can find it here: Melone in the Dark

Usually when I go into a game, I know something. This time, I know absolutely nothing aside from the fact that watermelon may be involved. So, let's get to it.

The Game

Usually I don't use a plug in mouse for games, as I don't often need to use a mouse and a keyboard at the same time. This time, however, I will be using one.

The loading screen is simple. It looks like it may be an RPG game, though I'm unsure, as the icon looked more like a three dimensional one. However, the game does warn not to use the mouse, as it bugs out. 
It appears I'll be playing a three dimensional pixel style game. So far, the story is that this man, Melone, is the biggest watermelon devotee, and that his midnight snack tonight is a watermelon he got for free at the market along with the warning to know fruit and fruit names or else demons will take your soul. Fun.

Unfortunately, the game appears to be fixed perspective, meaning this is going to become frustrating to move at some point what with constantly changing angles (also the way he walks is hilarious).
I'm sorry, but you what plant?
Another issue I've found is that the text overlaps during examination. After the first text fades and you go to examine something else, the two will overlap and you'll have to reexamine the second object.

I get to the kitchen after a minute of trying to fit through the door only to discover my bed is also in the kitchen. This man has a two room house. Ignoring that, I head over to eat my melon when it magically comes to life. I fight until it dies, but more just show up!
Now after murdering a total of four demonic melons, I just choose to ignore everything that just happened and take a bowl of corpses to munch on before exiting the room. That's when I come face to face with this:
Wait, what?
I can't even explain this anymore. This Watermelon God comes down to Earth just to tell this guy to stop saying Melons and to say Watermelons. Am I playing a horror game? Because this is straight up comedy gold. I love this game, but so far it's not horror at all.
Wait. What. The Watermelon king leaves to go back to his planet. Walter says bye. As soon as he's alone, he says that "nah, they're still melons". Roll credits. I'm at a complete loss for words. I can't properly react. I don't know what to say. 

Rating


Visual: I think the simplicity of the visuals made for some weird stuff. The faces of the watermelons were cute and I liked how Walter walked. It wasn't impressive, but it wasn't bad. (6/10)

Audio: The game didn't have too much in terms of music, but I absolutely loved the voice acting. The sounds were a nice addition, and the cliche punching sound made me laugh a little. (7/10)

Plot: I loved the plot so much. I loved the entire story. It wasn't scary, but it was cute and good. (10/10)

Simplicity: The controls were awful. I hated the arrow key turning and how the perspective would change when you reached a certain point. The space for interaction and fighting was nice, but the movement and placement of the camera angles was a poor choice. (3/10)

Atmosphere: It was not scary. (0/10)

Fun: I need to play this again. I need to play this so much. It was beyond fun. I couldn't stop laughing. It was so good that I'm not even sure it deserves only 10 points. (11/10)

Total: (6.2/10)

The controls need work. It's buggy in a few aspects, and I didn't quite enjoy the layout. I'm still really unsure why it's tagged as a horror game, but I do encourage everyone to play this game. It was hilarious and cute, and it took maybe five minutes to completely play through. 

Remember to support the creators however you can! 

I still love this game. I considered not posting this because it isn't a horror game and I am a horror game reviewer, but I just have to share this game because it was so cute. As usual, thanks for reading and I'll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment